POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Direct stochastic tiling : Re: Direct stochastic tiling Server Time
19 May 2024 22:59:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct stochastic tiling
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 21 Sep 2023 06:25:00
Message: <web.650c19af5bb87ec31f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Would you like to not lose your mind trying to figure out why patterns don't do
> what you think they're supposed to do?

After I posted this, I was looking at the rendered pattern, and noticed that
there was a lot of red, and very very little yellow, and since there's been
commentary on just how improbably it is to get an actual 1 or 0 from the PRNG, I
wondered what the spread of f_noise3d in functions.inc was.

It sucks.

After a few failed attempts to coax the output to cover a greater range, I took
5 noise samples at scales increasing by powers of 10, and did 1+2-3+4-5, and
then folded any out of range results back in with 2 nested select () functions.
That seemed to give a much more uniformly distributed random result, and a much
more varied coloration to the pattern.

- BE

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'direct stochastic tiling.png' (93 KB)

Preview of image 'direct stochastic tiling.png'
direct stochastic tiling.png