POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Editing or creating an image or heightfield in POV-Ray : Re: Editing or creating an image or heightfield in POV-Ray Server Time
20 May 2024 00:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Editing or creating an image or heightfield in POV-Ray
From: ingo
Date: 10 Sep 2023 13:10:00
Message: <web.64fdf7ee5742124017bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>

> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> - BW

Not elegant, but you can abuse splines as arrays in functions.

In a distant past we've had several discussions on erosion. I had a look but
can't find it (my archive is lost). I then made an animation or images using
DF3's. Not in POV-Ray it self but in Python.

I randomly dropped rain drops on the DF3. Every rain drop had a strength. The
density of the DF3 was the density/hardness of the stone. When eroding the
raindrop lost some strength and the stone lost some density. The harder the rock
the more costly it was for the drop.

Then, if there was still some 'life' in it, the raindrop would move to the
nearest neighbor with the lowest density and repeat the process until the drops
strength was zero.

I also did it with a combination of Hf and DF3, the HF was the landscape and the
DF3 the rock/soil. Then I eroded the HF away.

Christoph Hormann, ABX were also working on this, i.i.r.c.

ingo