POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MistLand : Re: MistLand Server Time
20 May 2024 00:35:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MistLand
From: Samuel B
Date: 31 Aug 2023 19:25:00
Message: <web.64f120e97312ea4416bed5696e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 31-8-2023 om 00:51 schreef Samuel B.:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A landscape sketch. [...]
>
> Excellent, Sam. I very much like the mood of the scene and the plants
> are great.

Thanks Thomas. It's inspired by this image somebody posted once using Midjourney
ai:
https://i.ibb.co/DRqSGKD/Organic-Proof8059-Midjourney-Jedi-TOTL-Magazine-Triumph-of-the-Light.jpg

I want to recreate the overall feeling of the thick atmosphere, fuzzy plants
and, if possible, a similar futuristic structure.

> > I'm fairly happy with the plants, but the land objects really need some work...
> > I want overhangs and high detail, but not the render times associated with
> > isosurfaces... So, I guess the other best option would be sculpted meshes ':/
> >
> Indeed. I am also interested in sculpting meshes. Not sure at present
> how to go about that: it would need to allow for erosion along natural
> sedimentary planes and layers for instance. It is something I have had
> the intention of doing for a long time but never got time to get my
> hands dirty in earnest till now...
>
> --
> Thomas

Well, as far as sculpting goes, Blender is one option. It's free, but the
learning curve is steep. There's also ZBrush (paid), Sculptris (paid? free? I
think I still have an installer for an old free version I could share), Nomad
for Android (paid), and... I don't know what else.

As far as programs specializing in landscapes, you already know about World
Machine. There's also Gaea, which seems very interesting. And Terragen, of
course. And also Gaia, which doesn't seem to do geology as well as Gaea but is
more of an all-in-one program letting you place plants and structures, I think.
Overall, Gaea seems the best choice at the moment, but I haven't made an
extensive search.

Gaea: https://quadspinner.com/

Sam