POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
14 May 2024 22:29:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: Samuel B
Date: 7 Aug 2023 19:10:00
Message: <web.64d178b3a9f3bc0af8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> [...] personally, I tend to visit a new URL in an "incognito" window [...]

This is the way. I do this (in FF), not because I think it it protects me from
being tracked completely (it doesn't), but because it keeps my searches from
being curated. It seems like today's web is all about trapping you into a tiny
box and selling you things it thinks are in your best interests at every turn.

> :-)  no FF (or TB) here.

You might want to change your mind about that, since I heard Chromium-based
browsers will be making it harder (if not impossible) to use ad blockers in the
near future.

(rant incoming)

I'm done with ads. I hate them. I grew up watching them on TV and seeing them in
magazines, and I have had my fill. Here's a great Banksy quote about
advertising:

~~~

    "People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life,
take a cheap shot at you and then disappear. They leer at you from tall
buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that
imply you're not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else.
They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the
most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with
it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

    You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property
rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they
like with total impunity.

    Fuck that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you
see it or not is yours. It's yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do
whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock
someone just threw at your head.

    You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't owe
them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put
themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even
start asking for theirs."

~~~

If I lived in the city, I would probably be spray-painting billboards, haha.

Sam