POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fleur-de-lis-esque wallpaper : Re: Fleur-de-lis-esque wallpaper Server Time
20 May 2024 00:36:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fleur-de-lis-esque wallpaper
From: Samuel B
Date: 7 Aug 2023 17:00:00
Message: <web.64d15a794ac30d20f8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > It's ok. A bit garish and not quite traditional. My main issue was
> > mathematically defining a proper fleur-de-lis shape... as it turns out, it's not
> > a very easy thing to do.
>
> So true.
> I was trying to port some Shadertoy code for a fish scale pattern - and I still
> have a lot of work to do on that.

It's not always easy to port shader code to POV-Ray script. It can be done, but
things often have to be nested in a funny way.

I hope a future version of POV's SDL more closely resembles GLSL or other
languages, and gives us more access to lower-level data. At the very least, I'd
like to have proper swizzles and maybe a unified approach to definitions (the
function/macro divide is huge sometimes).

> I like how Inigo Quilez, Martijn Steinrucker, and others walk us through the
> development of patterns and scenes that are of a seemingly impossible level of
> final complexity.
>
> Not many here do YouTube channels, but it might be interesting to develop an
> animation driven how-to for some patterns to show how the functions are
> elaborated, how symmetry is taken advantage of and leveraged, etc.
>
> #if (frame_number >= n)
>      // Some additional level of elaboration
> #end
>
> - BW

I'm not familiar with Martijn S. but I know about IQ, having been into shaders
for a while now. He seems to have developed a good number of functions and
methods for doing things, and even maintains a site where we can learn all about
it. Sometimes I wonder if raymarching might not just surpass triangle rendering
at some point for games and film. Maybe not, but it is more flexible in certain
ways.

Sam