POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
15 May 2024 11:42:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: jr
Date: 30 Jul 2023 12:30:00
Message: <web.64c68f00a9f3bc0a80c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Op 30-7-2023 om 16:56 schreef jr:
> > Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> >> I am tired of being forced to interact with damn pop-ups just to look at
> >> every damn website, just because a few people who can't be bothered to
> >> configure their Web browser are paranoid about their privacy.  (I bet
> >> they're the same people who use their cell phones to spread conspiracy
> >> theories about microchips in the vaccines.)
> >
> > disagree, frankly.  no one is "forced".  personally, I tend to visit a new URL
> > in an "incognito" window, and if the first thing I see is a pop-up, I close the
> > window, done.  fwiw I do think that companies need to up their "ethical game".
>
> Btw, Firefox has excellent extensions which suppress pop-ups, cookies,
> and such. In addition, it has a privacy mode. I am almost never troubled
> by those things.

:-)  no FF (or TB) here.  with Chrome I choose to nuke all the stored stuff on
browser exit/close; bg - I use one instance "permanently", with my Gmail tab,
some POV-Ray and other reference tabs; I open a new "incognito" window ("privacy
mode" will be similar I guess) to .. explore.  that leaves cookies I "approve
of", like eg online banking, in place as the "permanent" window never closes.
Chrome does have extensions for ad + pop-up "blocking" and such, too, though I
don't use any.  I have some sympathy for CR's irateness (and no good reply), but
suspect that your approach of using s/ware to .. defeat the nefarious :-) may
have little impact wrt encouraging companies to change behaviour (eg to not
simply store references to themselves and their affiliates "by default"), and
perhaps further "stokes the arms race".  anyway, </> before it turns into a
rant.

(feeling a little too gregarious, must lie down.. ;-))

regards, jr.