POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gothic cathedral window generator : Re: Gothic cathedral window generator Server Time
1 Sep 2024 02:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gothic cathedral window generator
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Jul 2023 19:00:00
Message: <web.64b718e637209b7f1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Btw, what were you using this kind of geometry for?

Originally, I was using it to find the radius of the sphere I needed to subtract
from a (rounded) box to make a laptop keyboard key.

It's also useful for making any concave "cap" to a cylinder or a box.

https://news.povray.org/povray.general/message/%3Cweb.643317271ef881ca1f9dae3025979125%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.643
317271ef881ca1f9dae3025979125%40news.povray.org%3E

I also needed this, or a variation thereof, to find the center of a very large
circle in order to model a sheet metal / screen development for making a
replacement globe for a vintage dual-fuel lantern I have.

Modeling software is great, since you can get the curve you need using the
actual center, since the entire workspce is virtual, but when laying out such an
arc IRL, one needs alternative approaches when either the center is inaccessible
or the radius makes scribing the arc wildly impractical.   There are several
such ingenious approaches.

- BW