POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bronze Age sword - take 2 : Re: Bronze Age sword - take 2 Server Time
20 May 2024 06:31:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bronze Age sword - take 2
From: Samuel B
Date: 18 Jul 2023 17:40:00
Message: <web.64b705bc2930abe7f8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 18-7-2023 om 00:58 schreef Samuel B.:
> > That's one nice-looking handle/hilt. How was it modeled?
> >

> Thanks Sam. I based the shape first of all on the information given by
> that article which started the project. The authors told and the
> photographs showed the hilt to be octagonal in shape; however, looking
> closely, I got the impression that the lower part around the blade was
> flatter and without a pronounced octagonal shape, so - using Silo - I
> modelled the hilt in two parts:
>
> The lower part below the torus-shaped ring as a flattened and deformed
> cone with a flattened horizontal cylinder differenced from it to produce
> the "claws".
>
> The upper part is based on an octagonal cylinder where the octagonal
> faces are separated by creased edges which - after later subdivisions of
> the object - produced the intended effect. This handle part is also
> slightly flattened but less so than the lower part.
>
> The upper decorative part, is extruded from the octagonal handle and not
> flattened.
>
> Finally, when I was sure I did not need to do any more serious work on
> the shape, I just kept one quarter of the hilt (like the blade) for
> export to .OBJ which I subdivided further in Poseray before exporting to
> mesh2 files to be further used in POV-Ray.
>
> This is more or less a standard procedure I have developed over the
> years and it works very fast. Most time of course is taken by the
> modelling proper in Silo or in Blender (for those who prefer that program).
>
> I am sorry not to have intermediate images of the process.
>
> --
> Thomas

Thanks for the explanation! It sounds quite involved. I was starting to think
you might have sculpted it, or used some blob-sorcery like H.E. Day used. (I've
probably said this before, but I wonder what happened to him...)

I've never used Silo, but I remember it being pretty much the best modeling
program for a while, along with Rhino. I tried the latter for a while, but then
I found Blender instead. (Everyone's got their favorites!)

Sam