POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pulp cover - day one : Re: Pulp cover - day one Server Time
20 May 2024 00:06:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pulp cover - day one
From: Mike Miller
Date: 16 Jul 2023 18:15:00
Message: <web.64b46b71a8806957b5177e91dabc9342@news.povray.org>
> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I'm starting a new series of POV scenes based/inspired by 1950's pulk covers.
> > Born in the 50s, I've collected a large number of these. I've always loved
> > the cover art. Attached is my underlay sketch in blender - currently working out
> > the sphere sweep/array for the arms and legs. I'll post updates as I finish
> > parts.
> > Miller
>
> Very cool.
> I have a few WIP scenes where I was working on some things out of the Tom Swift
> Jr. series - since I have a not-quite-complete set.
>
> How do you plan on doing the lettering?  One-off polygons?  Some variation of
> Dave Blandston's 'bordered characters'?  Jim T's lettering?   I think Cousin
> Ricky has also done some pretty neat font/prism work.
>
> Design a new font from scratch?
>
> Or are you going to go massive overkill and make some parameterized Bezier
> spline prism macro that fits the letters to the curve but keeps a constant
> stroke thickness?
>
> - Great sketches, and I like seeing how the scene develops from the drawings.
> You should check out Inheritance Machining on YT - he does some nice hand-drawn
> layouts for his projects.
>
> - BW

Thanks.
I'll probably do the masthead as individual linear spline prisms. I'll look at
the other ideas you list...thanks so much for the reference. Yes, Tom Swift
great sci-fi cover art - very cool. Most of my comic, mags, and pulp collection
is from the 50's and 60's. I usually collected by artist.
Mike