POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Semiregular pattern doodles : Re: Semiregular pattern doodles Server Time
20 May 2024 14:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Semiregular pattern doodles
From: Droj
Date: 18 Jun 2023 14:45:00
Message: <web.648f4f37f1e84230e68157b63b2af915@news.povray.org>

> The recent L-Systems posts, reminded me of a rough idea I've had banging
> around in my head for a long while. One of building up isosurfaces based
> upon chained dependencies to some depth. Similar I think to your direct
> dependency on f_noise3d but, more like:
>
> If stage one trunk covering location B12, use this stage two branch
> function and so on. Perhaps also making adjustments to each stage's
> behavior based upon the "test location's" inside values.
>
> Practically, I doubt we could get very deep at acceptable performance
> but, who knows. Maybe, deep enough to create simple branched plants or
> the like. Anyhow, someday I hope the idea bubbles to the top of my "play
> with it" list...
>
> Bill P.

Hi,

that's what L-Systems is all about, at least what P. Prusinkiewicz has published
about the growth of plants and trees
(http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/#abop).

The syntax of L-Systems is 'alien' - to put it mildly - but to create patterns
or simple branched trees or plants in 2D - that's the easy part of the game.
The tough part and where I'm stuck now is to persuade Povray to produce
something in 3D. That makes my tiny brain burn.

@BE Sorry for misusing your threat to keep the L-Systems banners high.
Love your semiregular pattern doodles.
Here a regular pattern doodle - of course L-System!

Droj

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pb_lsystems_25_14.png' (67 KB)

Preview of image 'pb_lsystems_25_14.png'
pb_lsystems_25_14.png