POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation : Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:54:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 3 Mar 2023 09:40:00
Message: <web.6402062f2f3c3b63d105cea189db30a9@news.povray.org>
> On 2023-03-01 20:29, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> >
> > I was just a bit surprised when I saw that license, since the license
> > for Inferno, Plasma and Viridis seems to be CC0 (i.e. no copyright).
>
> It may not make much practical difference, but this is better phrased as
> "copyright waived."  In some jurisdictions it is not legally possible to
> give up your copyright, thus the need for dedication licenses such as CC0.

I think that this is a rather strange license.

IIRC Norway is such a jurisdiction where it's not possible to
renounce one's copyright.

On the Wikipedia page I linked to there's a "Open-source software
licenses and how they interact" diagram. If I interpret this
diagram correctly, then it seems that it is actually ok to use
LGPL for works derived from something in the public domain.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com