POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation : Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:48:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set of scalable colormaps recommended for scientific visualisation
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 1 Mar 2023 19:35:00
Message: <web.63ffebac2f3c3b63383c879289db30a9@news.povray.org>
yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 01/03/2023 20:56, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> > But are you sure that the "GNU Affero General Public License v3.0" compatible
> > with the licenses from the initial authors?
> >
> > And are you aware that this license is more strict than the original licenses
> > that came with some of the color maps?
> Hi, Tor.
> Thank you for pointing me to this potential problem, I thought about it,
> but unfortunately too far from licensing details. If you have more info
> about that, maybe you can suggest to me the license that will 'best-fit'
> to this publication ? If not, I will need to explore this area more
> seriously.

Note that I'm not claiming that there is a problem - and I do not know
much about copyright law.

I was just a bit surprised when I saw that license, since the license
for Inferno, Plasma and Viridis seems to be CC0 (i.e. no copyright).

https://github.com/BIDS/colormap
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0

Inferno and Plasma was made by Stefan van der Walt and Nathaniel Smith,
while Viridis was made by Eric Firing and then modified by Stefan van
der Walt and Nathaniel Smith.

I recommend that you try to find the original author of each of the
other color maps and then try to find out if they specified any
licenses for their code. - Yes; that is probably a lot of work with
that many color maps.

Here's a Wikipedia page that might be useful for you, especially the
section about compatibility, if you are going to use licenses that are
different that the ones the original authors specified:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_license

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com