POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : "mandel" as function in isosurface has unexpected results : Re: [solved] "mandel" as function in isosurface has unexpected results Server Time
3 May 2024 15:05:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [solved] "mandel" as function in isosurface has unexpected results
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Dec 2022 06:30:00
Message: <web.639c55c566261a191f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Lars Rohwedder <rok### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> > Can you cite that with a link, or is that your working hypothesis?
>
> https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/377/
>
> See the explanations for "interior" and "exterior" types 0 and 1.

Yeah, I did.  Just did again.
The way it's written still doesn't make it any clearer to me.  ;)  :/

> A default color map is not mentioned there at all, hence I did not know
> about that. :-/

Right, we've come across that here and there, and I only really caught on when I
was plotting the function values and using the result as a pigment as well.   My
first post should have been enough to make that clear to me, but ....  density.

Wholeheartedly agree that the default internal color map ought to be explicitly
mentioned if not listed and explained in detail.

> Thank you a lot! Changing the color map into a stupid black-to-white
> ramp solves the problem.
>
> See attached .pov files and renderings.
>
> > Maybe you post your full scene as an attachment, and someone can
> > figure this out.
>
> I did it in my original posting.

Right-o.   It was a night-time last ditch effort, and I was just going off the
last post.  The first post rolled off my stack.

I'm glad it has worked out for you   :)

Just a thought - given the fractal nature, and the high function gradient -
maybe this approach will give you a smoother result?

https://www.mitchr.me/SS/mandelbrot/index.html

All the best,

BW