POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image_map to tilted and rotated triangle centered and scaled : image_map to tilted and rotated triangle centered and scaled Server Time
1 May 2024 20:52:40 EDT (-0400)
  image_map to tilted and rotated triangle centered and scaled
From: Molly-J
Date: 27 Mar 2022 22:20:00
Message: <web.62411a4bab3fdb5f9cded0992eac0897@news.povray.org>
I am going mad trying to project image maps onto polygons that are not in the
x-y plane or plumb to the y axis. I have 20 equilateral triangles forming a
typical D20 shape (regular icosahedron). I have the XYZ coordinates for the
points so all I have to do is create each triangle using sets of the 32
vertices. BUT . . . .

I cannot work out how to project the 20 image_map pigments properly. Image_map
pigments only seem to work on polygons normal to the Z axis and left corner at
0,0 XY

The suggestion that I create each triangle at 0,0 and then translate/rotate them
to the icosahedron would be just fine if i had those numbers. (I do not)

There must exist another way, as the current limitation is ludicrously
un-useful. Everybody aplying pictures to polyhedra would have exactly the same
problem.
What am I missing?

Is it possible to translate the triangle by translating its individual points?
That I might be able to do, but I can't work out how.

The ultimate goal is a Dymaxion type world map on an Icosahedron.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'test-ico.png' (62 KB)

Preview of image 'test-ico.png'