POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ulam Spiral fun : Re: Ulam Spiral fun Server Time
15 May 2024 18:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ulam Spiral fun
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 8 Mar 2022 13:25:00
Message: <web.62279ec68a8700001f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> not too sure yet, need to look this over, thanks for the ref.  from my
> lack-of-know-how perspective, roughly, I think of two circles, both approx
> around origin, the smaller for the look_at, a larger for the location; the
> larger more (shallow) helix, ie I would like from clock 0 to 1 for both
> diameters to slowly increase, and the location to "lift", so that the effect is
> like zooming out, taking in more + more of the plane.  thinking the movement
> should be clockwise (while the spiral gets drawn counter-clockwise).  anyway,
> near the end one should have a "bird's eye" view of the spiral.  (I'm reasonably
> sure it's not very difficult, but you know of .. my limitations :-))

Ah, I get it now.

How about you use the frame number or clock value to calculate an angle.
For your camera, subtract some increment, for you look_at, add.
Increment your camera's y-value every frame.

To get the spiral effect, increment the radius each frame.

Basically, translate some amount away from the origin (radius), translate your
camera up, and then rotate.   That ought to be it.