POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : animation test-- compression encoding schemes : Re: animation test-- compression encoding schemes Server Time
1 May 2024 17:57:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animation test-- compression encoding schemes
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Feb 2022 07:40:00
Message: <web.621387a6972028b94cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>

> I had to resize a video for a friend a while back, and as far as I can remember,
> I used ffmpeg, or convert in order to resize and maybe decrease the frame rate
> to make the file size smaller.

AFAIK(?) both VLC Media Player and VirtualDub2 MOD make use of ffmpeg-- hidden
under their Windows GUI's. I confess that I have never been any good at using
ffmpeg's command-line tools; trying to remember which code settings to use makes
my brain hurt. (Translation: I'm lazy ;-) ]

> I'd say that this is one of those areas where you should really just jettison
> understanding how any of it works...
> Because when that waters are this deep, and you're not planning to start a
> new PhD level career in graphics formats and data compression algorithms,
> then you're not going to get anything done, and you're still not going
> to understand how it all works.

Yeah, I agree! Well-said. Although, it nags me that I don't fully understand all
of it-- just enough to be dangerous! It's fascinating to read about...until my
eyes glaze over.

But I *want* to be a PhD genius in graphics formats and data compression
algorithms!

And an astronaut. And a James Bond 007 spy. And...