POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How do I use a new GPG key? : Re: How do I use a new GPG key? Server Time
4 May 2024 02:50:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I use a new GPG key?
From: jr
Date: 24 Jan 2022 03:25:00
Message: <web.61ee614db38070f5ea8869266cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 2022-01-23 16:00 (-4), jr wrote:
> >
> > I guess you'll also have found the 'gpg' program?  you can list keys + could
> > export the one you need.  how you then use that with GitHub, no idea.
>
> I did not realize such a program existed, but I just checked, and the
> program is on my system.  I did a gpg -k, and other than my email
> address, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

(ah, there you have me.  I cannot look at your screen.  :-))

I trust you've solved your problem by now, if not:

  $ gpg --list-keys

you should see which key you're after by looking at the 3rd (space-separated)
field, the date of creation.  its first field should read 'pub'(lic).  the
second field is a slash separated compound, use the number after the slash to:

  $ gpg --export theNumber > the_file_to_use_on_github

never needed to do this, so check out the export comments re '-armor' option and
sending keys.

<https://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html>

fwiw, TOK's ""SSH keypair setup for GitHub" link looks v good.  had not known
you can use ssh keys too, recommend you switch from 'gpg' to 'ssh' at some point
(easier to use + manage).

regards, jr.