POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Happy Holidays : Re: Happy Holidays Server Time
3 May 2024 21:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Happy Holidays
From: Chris R
Date: 21 Dec 2021 22:45:00
Message: <web.61c29eeaa9b6fbbcce7c8a215cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> > Op 20/12/2021 om 21:52 schreef Chris R:
>
> > This looks very convincing to me.
> >
> > [nitpicking] Maybe the snow seems a bit polluted by industrial fall out
> > from its original surroundings? [/nitpicking]  :-)
>
> I think that's the effect of larger bits of transparent ice and not fluffy
> diffuse snow.  At least that the impression I get, especially with the specular
> reflections.
>
> I wasn't quite able to envision an earlier comment about adding some emission,
> but now I think that it does need to be in some way "brightened".
>
> deeper sslt?
> rgbt?
> emission?
> a smaller emissive or rgb 1 diffuse 1 snowball just beneath the surface?
>

> Still, a very impressive texture  - it is looking REAL.

If anyone is interested, here is what I am using for the material:

#declare Real_snowman_snow_texture3  = texture {
    pigment {
        granite
        color_map {
            [0.0 rgb <1.2, 1.2, 1.2>]
            [1.0 rgb <1.15, 1.15, 1.15>]
        }
        scale 0.5
    }
    finish {
        fresnel
        diffuse 0.7
        specular albedo 0.2
        roughness 0.001
        subsurface { translucency 0.5 }
    }
}

#declare Real_snowman_snow_material3 = material {
    texture {
        Real_snowman_snow_texture3
    }
    interior {
        ior 1.33
    }
}

The snowballs are isosurface spheres.  I use f_snoise3d at a scale to deform the
spheres, and the f_granite at a smaller scale to get the bumps that make the ice
crystals on the surface of the sphere.

-- Chris R.