POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Variation on the "Lava Lamp" Animated Text : Re: Variation on the "Lava Lamp" Animated Text Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:01:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variation on the "Lava Lamp" Animated Text
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Dec 2021 21:05:00
Message: <web.61b01201e023a67e4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:

> No height_fields, just CSG boxes and cylinders and such.

That's interesting. My initial guess about height_fields was based on some
artifacts that I see, on the 'sides' of the letters U, L and A. Like moire
patterns, but more linear; not quite the the 'look' of possible AA artifacts, or
even due to the vagaries of MPEG compression-- more like the  effect when the
side of a height_field is completely vertical (and when the HF does not have a
high-enough triangle resolution).

The sine-wave traveling through the letters has be intrigued. If the letters are
just CSG objects, how did you 'squash and stretch' them? My guess would be:
using functions for initially creating the (many?) 'simple' object shapes, then
adding an animated sine function on top of that. OR, by 'slicing' CSG objects
into lots of thin sections, and maybe scaling the slices in x using the various
phases of a sine function?

The artifacts I see make me think of thin sections combined into full letters.
All guesswork, of course ;-)

Actually, my very FIRST impression was that the letters were bent by an animated
sine-wave 'camera normal'-- but the background is static, so that's not the
trick.