POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Creating soft shadows : Re: Creating soft shadows Server Time
3 May 2024 08:51:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating soft shadows
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Dec 2021 16:20:00
Message: <web.61aa8940c6a4be144cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> For the two cylinders, adaptive 1, or maybe even adaptive 0, would
> probably have been enough.
> For the text object, it's not. You probably need to use adaptive 3 or
> even 4 to get a correct result.

You're correct with both suggestions. And for the letters, I cranked up adaptive
to 5(!), which continued to make the letter shadows even smoother... but with a
slower render, of course.

But that's odd behavior, and does not agree with the documentation about
'adaptive': For my tests, I used a 'linear' light array of   1,33  which is
'only' 33 lights (1*31). According to the docs,
"The number of rays never exceeds the values you specify for rows and columns of
points."

So for 33 lights in my area_light, the maximum *useful* adaptive value should be
       adaptive 2  (5X5=25 rays)
But the adaptive mechanism is definitely still working at values of 3 through 5;
I did some visual 'difference' tests to confirm this-- and the render times get
slower as well.

I am currently running POV-ray v3.8.0 beta 1 in Windows, so the way 'adaptive'
works may have changed(?) at some point...or else there is something fundamental
about the doc's description of 'adaptive' that I still don't understand.