POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : file write fail ignored : Re: file write fail ignored Server Time
3 May 2024 11:52:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file write fail ignored
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Oct 2021 17:35:00
Message: <web.616750735f4c71af4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>

> (1) - Yep, and with this, we picked up a related puzzle with radiosity.
> Parts of the samples related code is running all the time! Meaning
> whether we have radiosity in the scene or not, whether the quality level
> supports radiosity or not - this samples code runs for each render
> block.

Wow! Good detective work.

> (2) - I learned yesterday the state file location is derived from the
> output image location! I wrongly thought the state file (aka continue
> trace log) was always local to where the render command was issued, but
> it ends up wherever you write the output image file.

Yes, that's the way it has been (in Windows versions) since the state-file
feature was added. I thought this was by design(!) It's usually not a problem--
I just delete the file when not needed-- unless it happens to get made while
rendering (and stopping) animations. Then it sometimes shows up within the
sequence of images in my output-image folder (because I usually do not use the
state-file to 'continue the trace' during such renders.) My animation apps then
stop processing any further images at the point where that file is detected--
but that's just a temporary annoyance, until I delete it.