POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Facebook 3D posts : Re: Facebook 3D posts Server Time
17 May 2024 00:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Facebook 3D posts
From: BayashiPascal
Date: 4 Jul 2021 08:45:00
Message: <web.60e1acb093de9b14a3e088d5e0f8c582@news.povray.org>
> Op 4-7-2021 om 11:09 schreef Mike Horvath:
> > On 7/4/2021 2:20 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> >> 2) I have seen on a couple of occasions (on TV), archaeologists make a
> >> lot of photographs of an object, under all kind of angles, and later
> >> combine those into a 3d model (with software of course). I saw that
>
> >> geology students recently used a drone to photograph the walls of a
> >> quarry in the same manner, and assembled them into a 3d model of the
> >> quarry. Fascinating stuff, and relatively cheap to implement,
> >> especially for students I understood.
> >>

> > I wonder *how* cheap it really is. Probably *not* cheap, in terms of the
> > work and expertise involved.
> >
> I don't really know. What I understood, in particular from the Chinese
> example, was that the hardware came 'cheap' as only a perfectly common
> digital camera was needed and no sophisticated laser-controlled stuff.
> And a simple stepladder in addition, to get around the statues. The same
> applied for the students with their drone. Concerning the software, I
> have no idea. The results looked good however, and I doubt that they had
> any particularly high expertise in the matter.
>
> --
> Thomas

You can indeed produce good results with a standard camera. The software itself,
if not freeware is quite expensive, but if they were students it's probably
provided by their university and that's surely not much compared to a university
budget. About expertise, if they were students, that very probably mean they had
teachers with a high level of expertise to guide them.