POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
27 Apr 2024 03:02:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: jr
Date: 29 May 2021 03:00:00
Message: <web.60b1e62b2344a9a179819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> If you really want to improve the installation documentation situation,
> my suggestion would be to help us (*) improve `unix/README.md` (which
> constitutes THE authoritative quick-install instructions for Linux and
> other Unixoids) and `unix/install.txt` (wich currently constitutes THE
> authoritative detailed documentation of the installation process for
> such platforms).

good thought.  I tend to simply download a tarball, so will have a look at the
included readme/install/etc files in the coming days.

> POV-Ray wants SDL for display.

only because of a brain-dead (imo) decision to make 3.7 onwards dependent on it.
 brain-dead, but reversible[*].

> SDL, as the full name "Simple Direct Media Layer" implies, does more
> than just display.

_exactly_  however, all it is used for is the preview window.  so what's the
point of joystick control and audio output, etc?

> SDL wants stuff, too.

again, for what (POV-Ray) gain?

[*] as, eg, the 'povr' branch does.

regards, jr.