POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1 : Re: Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.1 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:10:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.1
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 May 2021 06:45:00
Message: <web.60a2482a581f2f681f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> > I'm thinking that my suggestion for
> > #local not_0 = 1/256;
> > was close, but that would not give a pure black.  Maybe 1/257 to give a pure
> > black monitor color but still not 0;
> >
> I think it is a trivial difference. As Alain said, no real black in
> nature, and the black pigments here represent micas, which are far from
> pitch black anyway.

I suppose it is .. trivial ... but my thought was as a general point, we should
provide the users with the fullest range of colors as possible, realistic or
not, so that we don't code another 20 scenes that 20 years from now people with
throw up their hands and cry "Why did they DO *this*???"

So I was thinking it would allow the representation of the purest black
possible, but still not be zero.  What color is a dark hole or a lightless room?
There may also be scenes later on where people are rendering heightfields, etc,
and want a pixel rgb that numerically is integer 0.

Nothing really to do with the present granite, just thinking ahead.
That's all.