POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
28 Apr 2024 04:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: jr
Date: 13 May 2021 07:55:00
Message: <web.609d12b12344a9a179819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 5/12/21 9:20 AM, jr wrote:
> > "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> >> So, in an effort to work out a fairly robust process for folks new to linux, and
> >> unfamiliar with all of "the usual" ways of doing things that are just left as
> >> "we assumed that you already know how to do all of this..." (no) I'm going to
> >> use this thread to document installation of official POV-Ray, perhaps by several
> >> methods, version 3.8 alpha, and hopefully povr and hgpovray38 as well.
> >
> > no one mentioned using/creating a (shell, etc) script to build yet, I think, so
> > that'd be my advice.
> >

> A good idea. On linux based systems a script could take a quick look at
> whether the right packages dependencies were installed in a way more
> friendly than the configure script. Suppose a concern is it would itself
> be an abnormal way to do things for more experienced linux/unix users.
> Well, thinking a bit, the prebuild.sh stuff is too with most POV-Ray
> sources. ;-)

:-)  I've been thinking that 'povr' ought to provide a dummy 'prebuild.sh'.
that would allow a single "template" to work for all (afaik, except qtpovray)
variants.

> --- Something for the future, perhaps.
> Aside: I've been thinking too on linux we should move away from setting
> up default system install directories. Most linux users should install
> from existing packages, not compile and install. Further, our 'default'
> build system should not by default, try to overwrite such provided
> packages on a 'make install.'

what is the point, except more .. outgrowths.

is this a Debian/Ubuntu thing?  you know, like people who say "PIN number"
instead of just "PIN".  example.  manual pages don't really have a purpose
unless shared by users.  so what is the gain, say, from moving '/usr/man/' to
'/usr/share/man/'?

> I've been toying with the default install directory for linux/unix being
> /dev/null in fact. (/dev/null being a 'bit bucket / null disk')

this leaves me .. scratching my head.

> With the 'core' approach and a 'povr' wrapper script you can run in
> place after a compile or with an install. When a user installs, it
> should normally be to a local user directory and not a system wide one.

right.  but which ever location the user chooses, by supporting DESTDIR it's not
your problem.

while on 'povr'.  I really thought the bottom right sphere of most recent post v
interesting, a real nice depth effect.  can you please supply a simple scene, or
at least a complete texture?  (thanks)

regards, jr.