POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc Server Time
20 May 2024 03:51:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Apr 2021 06:25:00
Message: <web.6076c22f6a35d6561f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> So, to be correct, I should also change all the single 0.000 components
> of colour triplets to 0.004.

That's how I understand it.  Never any absolute zeroes anywhere.
And for realism, always some small amount of reflection in every finish (but
maybe our radiosity covers that already)
I usually use an E = 0.000001 to avoid coincident surface type stuff
For the granites I used #declare _not0 = 1/256; // a small non-zero value since
it was the same character length as 0.000 and fit nicely into the color maps  ;)

With regard to the duplicate finish blocks, there was certainly a difference
when I rendered the base texture vs the full layered texture.