POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc Server Time
27 Apr 2024 01:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc
From: jr
Date: 11 Apr 2021 12:00:00
Message: <web.60731bd56a35d65679819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Op 11-4-2021 om 14:48 schreef Mr:
> > Thanks for asking feedback and sorry to be that pronounced, it's easier to
> > comment than to do.
>
> You are very welcome indeed to comment in any way :-)
>
> My initial - and still main - purpose is to provide an /ancient/ code in
> more /modern/ context. I think that granites.inc (1996) merits to be
> considered. I am sure that your objections are valid. However, the code
> needs to be given as it was written 25 years ago (with some minor
> changes by me, I confess) and not as one written today, with all the
> knowledge accumulated since then. This is a piece of POV-Ray archeology
> as it were...

I like the idea of archiving and maintaining, etc.  however, access to the
information too has to be considered.  when I unzipped the archives I got that
... sinking feeling, you know, dozens of files but not even a README
(equivalent).  so I suggest providing an additional document in some format
(PDF, html, or txt), that gives context and perhaps has a "manifest".

anyway, mindful of Mr's closing comment, I've thrown together an example html
page with sections for three of the granites -- literally a cut and paste job,
so layout (and <style>) are not right; it looks for the images in a 'img'
sub-directory.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'granites21.html.txt.htm' (3 KB)