POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server failure : Re: Server failure Server Time
15 May 2024 03:44:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server failure
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Mar 2021 07:15:00
Message: <web.6063072cc68e683b1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> On 22/03/2021 01:28, Bald Eagle wrote:
>
> > include attachments in ANY of the newsgroups.
>
> Try it now :>)

I'll give it whirl as soon as I'm able.  :)
DMV after work today   :(

> I'm happy to re-host that and other related resources provided that
> copyright / license issues don't get in the way.

I guess I'll see what I can find.
I've run into a couple of neat links via archive.org, and to be honest, most of
the sites are defunct, OLD (thus the internet archaeology required), outdated
(POV-Ray 3.5 or earlier), and the authors may very well no longer be with us in
this realm.

To Quote Joshua English when he replied to my email in 2016, "Wow. I didn't
think anyone actually could find the Cyclopedia after all these years."

Well now I can't - because his site is down too --- so I'll be HHTracking that
one too.

From an archaeological and historical point of view, some of the material is of
important value, and the authors would be pleased to have it shared and
disappointed and bewildered if it wasn't. Making it available for people to
learn from and USE was the whole point of putting in the creative work to begin
with.
From a practical standpoint - they posted it on the web (maybe in 1998), it got
archived, I can access it.   Who actually hosts it seems a bit irrelevant.

I think is we slap a (c) Someguyon Theinternet notice on it, with a "contact us
if you think this violates xyz, and want it removed" boilerplate, all will be
good.
I'd be positively flabbergasted if someone('s next of kin) took issue with, let
alone _FOUND_ a resurrected copy of a 23 year old POV-Ray include file or
tutorial.

I will post a list of what I have - hopefully by the end of the week, and you
can decide how such things will be integrated into the site.