POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:57:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Mar 2021 20:25:01
Message: <web.60442b016dc18ced1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:

> That is a GREAT idea! I'd be interested in helping with that initiative.

I guess something where we make a list (pref in a starter .pov file) and then we
can use that as a framework for group editing.

Maybe come up with a standard camera/resolution for anything that needs
rendering.
And #error directive for things that don't.
Make it one big #switch #case #break #end block.

Possibly alphabetize everything so it's easy to skim through.

And then it's just a basic functioning few lines of code for everything, and
then that can act as a basis for anyone who wants to follow up with
improvements.

(might need a companion .inc file for textures, useful macros, various other
odds and ends)

Which reminds me
In addition to my include file edits, and random number additions, I have a file
that I'm writing Graphics Gems methods in SDL, and I have my own include files
for things like matrix and array macros/formulas, and some commonly used
algorithms like sorting, etc.

> Rage on brother (i.e., Against the Machine), and amen, I feel exactly where
> you're coming from.

I do/have done construction, electrical, gas, HVAC, painting, grow food, store
food, cook, grind my own meat grain and spices, auto engine repair, small engine
repair, computer and printer repair, electronics, photography (B&W), arduino/cpp
coding, POV-Ray, archery, was an FFL, firearms instructor, I drive carts, pallet
jacks, forklifts, do organic chemistry, ....  getting into CB and ham, other
skillz...

"What do you do at work?"  Lift heavy stuff, clean, mop....
"What do you do at home?"  Derive the mixed partial second derivatives of
Bernstein polynomials..."

Does anyone hire me for any of that stuff? ...  no.  :|

Some is due to interest alone, most due to poverty/necessity.
It's TIRING, but I plan on outliving the snowflakes whose delicate constitution
can only tolerate organic soy milk.

hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a
wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act
alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for

― Robert A. Heinlein

> Now you're just killing me with your snarky regex, awk and grep - I literally
> laughed out loud! Because it's all so true...

I mean I've done all of that - most of it 20 years ago ...  but I'm a fan of
clear, concise, complete, and robust instructions.
It's easy to forget that SHT, and sometimes I write code on Monday and have no
idea how what I wrote works on Wednesday...
Not to mention the few times I only found a single example of code I wanted to
use, and am in the middle of saying to myself, "Yes! This is great...."    and
then I realize, "Oh.  Wow.  This is MY code..."   <eyeroll> because clearly the
coffee was working its magic when I wrote it, and then wasn't, when I forgot
that I had already wrote it and then searched for it....   :D