POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks : Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks Server Time
4 May 2024 00:43:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files - a few remarks
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Mar 2021 07:15:01
Message: <web.603cd9966dc18cedd98418910@news.povray.org>

> > I have not tested it, but maybe your differences come from the fact that
> > you use version 3.8 here. I did not, from the principle that version 3.7
> > and/or 3.7.1 are the /last/ official versions of POV-Ray. As a start,
> > the includes should comply with those versions. Version 3.8 is beta and
> > may need more changes in future.
> >

> I tested and, no, you must have used some wrong settings somewhere.
> versions 3.7 or 3.8 render identically.

You are absolutely correct; I made a mistake, a really dumb one: In my simple
v3.8xx scene file for testing the skysphere and the rgb-vs-SRGB colors, I
mistakenly wrote #version 2.8 instead of 3.8! (I have no idea what "version 2.8"
does to colors-- if there ever WAS such a version.) My render was definitely
screwed up; sorry for the confusion.

Now, my v3.8 SRGB-color version looks just like your v3.7 version.

I also ran my scene in v3.7 to double-check any color/gamma differences
between that and v3.8xx; they look identical, as you say.

The other interesting behavior I noticed (maybe it's expected) is that the older
#version directive of 3.5 in "skies.inc" can be changed to 3.7, with absolutely
no change in the renders (when run in either v3.7.0 or 3.8xx). I did some
'difference' comparisons in Photoshop to check this.