POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sci-Fi Scene Assets : Re: Sci-Fi Scene Assets Server Time
1 May 2024 23:05:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sci-Fi Scene Assets
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 26 Feb 2021 09:40:01
Message: <web.6039081da906d8e387570eab0@news.povray.org>

> Well that's some clever usage, because it leaves me puzzling over the main body.

Ah, I forgot to mention that I used planes for differencing also, to carve off
sections of supellipsoids at 45 degree angles, etc.

> The placement of all of those little pieces makes me wonder if it was
> done by eye and feel, or if there was some analytical geometry involved.
> Tapping an arrow key to nudge a shape in a modeler is vastly more attractive for
> most projects than calculating the depth of an arc, given a certain span it
> needs to nestle into, or any of that stuff....

All of this was done by eye and feel. I started with the engine as a couple of
cones and some tori at the origin and just started making little parts that are
unioned into subassemblies and rotated around. Each piece was done the same way,
as working at the origin is pretty straightforward and assemblies can be easily
moved into final position.

Cheers,
Rob