POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sci-Fi Scene Assets : Re: Sci-Fi Scene Assets Server Time
1 May 2024 09:57:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sci-Fi Scene Assets
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Feb 2021 09:50:07
Message: <web.603120a5a906d8e31f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > This is the 2nd part of my task. I looked up 'gaussian blur', and I see that it
> > involves matrix use in some way. I'm still a rank beginner when it comes to
> > manipulating matrices, but aside from that small problem (ha), I can't even get
> > a *basic* experiment with a matrix to work in v3.8xx for Windows
>
> Okay, I didn't use a matrix in that sense, i.e., the matrix keyword as used for
> transformations. I just built my own Gaussian smoothing matrix using a 2d array,
> like this (note the symmetry):
>
> #declare ConvolutionKernel = array[5][5] {   // Smoothing matrix
>    {1,  4,  7,  4, 1},
>    {4, 16, 26, 16, 4},
>    {7, 26, 41, 26, 7},
>    {4, 16, 26, 16, 4},
>    {1,  4,  7,  4, 1}
> }

Yes, it's a mathematical "matrix" - but with what we're doing with it, it's
implemented as an _array_ in code.   Not many working parts under the hood for
doing matrix math at the moment.

So I guess "array processing algorithm" would most clearly describe the
operation.

I did similar here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5e9e3e93521c7ab7fb0b41570%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=432310
&toff=50

And probably for the Fast Fourier Transform and other places where I needed the
matrix structure to accomplish what I wanted.