POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2D QRD Design Visualization : Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:43:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D QRD Design Visualization
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 5 Jan 2021 17:45:00
Message: <web.5ff4eb091bc6d66387570eab0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Another cool design! The profile happens to look like a kind of chopped-up
> waveform.

Thanks, I like the symmetry and they work well in a array of three side-by-side.

> I'm curious: For these, would there be an improvement (i.e. 'better' sound
> absorption) if one or two of the three panels were mounted horizontally rather
> than vertically? To 'catch' sound waves that the vertical panel(s) may have
> missed? My own uninformed theory about these things is, the more 'random' the
> orientation, the better. But that's based on.. nothing in particular, just a
> hunch ;-)

Both ways work, it just depends on the situation. A diffuser like the first
image that I posted scatters both horizontally *and* vertically (2D), while the
second scatters horizontally (1D). For a listening environment like a studio
control room I personally like a little of both. They make a small room sound
bigger, mitigating flutter echo and breaking up standing waves. Some people
think that scattering sound waves to the floor and ceiling is a bad idea.

An array of horizontal diffusers, side-by-side, seems to be the most common
approach in professional studios, usually on the rear wall and rear side walls.
Of course diffusers don't actually absorb sound (much), they scatter.

difference in the absorption rating. I use the 8 lb per cubic foot density,
because more density = more absorption.

To tame bass frequencies you can cut these same size mineral wool panels in half
(2x2 feet) and then cut those diagonally into triangles. Stacked floor to
ceiling in the corners of a room these make great bass traps.

> There is a local restaurant/bar here that our band plays at on a regular basis.
> The small 'stage' is located in a corner of the room-- with hard walls
> everywhere, and a low hard ceiling. This set-up results in some weird and
> expected over-amplification of the bands' instruments, with the sound bouncing
> around; on-stage, we never truly hear what the audience hears. For *years*, I've
> been trying to convince the venue's owners to put *some* kind of sound-absorbing
> panels (or whatever) on the L-shaped walls that surround us. But they don't seem
> to think it's important. *sigh* :-(  I haven't given up, though!

I hear you, I've been through the exact same thing. A couple of years ago I
finally convinced the owner at my local "super-reverberant" regular gig venue to
let me make hang some of my absorber panels on the walls. It made such a big
difference that he paid me to make and install  25 of them :)

Cheers,
Rob