POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Playing in povr with shaped noise. : Re: Playing in povr with shaped noise. Server Time
8 May 2024 01:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing in povr with shaped noise.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Nov 2020 14:50:06
Message: <web.5fad918ab5c905741f9dae300@news.povray.org>
> With povr, in addition to quilted, I've taken dents back to a normal
> perturbation only pattern.
>
> What was the dents scalar value for maps pattern in POV-Ray was noise
> cubed. I've kept the pattern, but renamed it noise_cubed.
>
> I've also renamed the previously created povr f_dents() inbuilt function
> to f_noise_cubed(). In looking at the inbuilt function again, I got to
> playing around with alternative noise shaping methods.
>
> One of these is used for the raised bits on an isosurface plain in the
> attached image. The updated quilted normal perturbation pattern is
> applied on top on the shape.
>
> Bill P.

I looked at the noise generation code a while, and it's currently beyond my
ability to puzzle out - pretty complex with all that hash table stuff.
(Has anyone implemented Simplex Noise yet?)

I'm glad to see that you're renaming things to more accurately reflect what they
are.
Perhaps one approach to semi-retain some of the old naming would be to just make
an include file "legacy.inc" that has a list of things like
#declare dents = normal {noise_cubed} or whatever your syntax for that would be.

The isosurface looks great - I immediately thought it would make a great blood
vessel wall, or a work-eaten wood or bark, or sand dunes....
Probably lots of other immediate applications just by altering the colors and
textures.