POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 : Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
18 May 2024 13:33:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Oct 2020 21:05:01
Message: <web.5f98c36776c60ba8d98418910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
>

> > The correct functions would be
> > [snip]

Just to clarify, in my own mind, some things about the use of these functions
(because I'm currently working on an all-inclusive test scene about this stuff):

When using assumed_gamma 1.0, and in POV-ray's preview render:

If I want to *multiply* an RGB color,  rgb 0.7*<.3,.5,.7> would be OK to do.

But if I want to multiply an SRGB color,  srgb 0.7*<.3,.5,.7> would NOT be the
correct way to do it, to get the 'expected' color result (if I understand some
of Clipka's older remarks); I would instead need to use a somewhat different
multiplication scheme. Is that what these 'multiplication functions' are for--
the way to properly 'multiply' an SRGB color?

Or is   srgb 0.7*<.3,.5,.7>  perfectly OK by itself?

Or am I way off base as to what the functions themselves are meant for?