POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Steam Fog: First WIP : Re: Steam Fog: First WIP Server Time
16 May 2024 19:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steam Fog: First WIP
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Oct 2020 09:55:07
Message: <web.5f94315468f7cc2ad98418910@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Le 2020-10-20 à 13:05, MichaelJF a écrit :
> >
> > In fact, I have no idea if the images of a sunrise are very different
> > from the images of a sundown...
> >
> Sun rise tend to have a clearer sky and more ground fog.
> Sun set tend to not have any fog, but dirtier sky with more smoke and
> air borne dust.
>
> This is definitely a Sun rise.

I agree, My own 'visual experience' of the difference is that a Sun rise is a
bit more yellow than an orange-yellow Sun set, probably for the reasons that
Alain mentioned.

The final image is beautiful. And I am amazed that you were able to re-create
most of the scene, after that computer headcrash (ouch!)

My one suggestion for this scene (for the future, of course) is that the steam
'strands' needs scattering media (or more of its effect, if you are already
using it?) The reason is that even steam like this has a 'self-shadowing'
effect, to give it visual density-- nicely modeled by scattering media with the
appropriate 'extinction' settings.  The scene as-is looks a bit like the steam
is 'overlayed' and rather uniform in its brightness/density.

Your hard work on this scene-- and your tenacity to keep at it-- has really paid
off!