POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 : Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
5 May 2024 03:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Oct 2020 10:55:01
Message: <web.5f904b5976c60ba8d98418910@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
[Bald Eagle wrote:}

> > Consider:
> >
> > A box has a pigment with 2 image_maps, blended in a pigment_map, illuminated by
> > a light source, rendered by POV-Ray, displayed on a monitor, and seen by you.
>
> I'm afraid that we also need to take into account any changes made by the driver
> for the graphic card, the driver for the monitor and perhaps the operating
> system.

Yes-- and I am currently grappling with such changes, on my Win 7 computer
(built-in video card) and my cheap-o 'TV monitor': basically, increased
orange/yellow color-intensity in any 'saved' image file, from any source. And
slightly darkened image files from POV-ray. It is either due to the monitor
itself, or I am using the wrong ICC profile in the computer (currently sRGB,
which I thought would be correct.) In any case, the only *reliable* viewing
environments that I completely trust are 1) the POV-ray preview window, and 2)
Ive's IC/Lilysoft image-viewing app. Everything else is skewed.

A new *real* computer monitor would certainly help...unless the problem is
somewhere in the computer itself.

I miss my old and trustworthy CRT monitor.