POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 : Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
5 May 2024 03:05:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Oct 2020 13:50:00
Message: <web.5f8f232a76c60ba81f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Btw, this is interesting:
> In professional CGI environments, artists apparently work in a 'complete' and
> rather austere  assumed_gamma 1.0 world-- even when using image_maps and the
> like:

Yes, and that's the gist of what I'm trying to figure out.
Because with multiple encodings and decodings, it's next to impossible to figure
out where some fundamental thing went wrong or how to fix it.   Therefore you're
forever doing all of that artistic fiddling.

If you get a chance, you should check out Ansel Adams' 3-part series on The
Print, The Negative, and The Camera.  Or just look up a good explanation of the
zone system.  It uses film gamma as an explanation, but it's where I started.

I also forgot to throw assumed_gamma into the mix.

So there are all of those things playing off one another, and they all add up to
a result.  The idea is to 1:1 graph it, or come up with some sort of test suite
that allows one to use an image or pattern and unambiguously verify if what one
is using is in linear color space.   Then if the monitor converts it to sRGB to
display it, who cares - that's the expected end result anyway.

But we should be careful to not "double-convert" one way or the other.