POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 : Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:50:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Oct 2020 13:25:01
Message: <web.5f8885a476c60ba8d98418910@news.povray.org>
Ash Holsenback <no### [at] spamcom> wrote:

> would one of you guys PLEASE be a little bit more specific about what is
> wrong on wiki... several of you are so darn verbose my eyes have just
> glazed over

The Wikipedia page about "sRGB" has two nasty-looking math equations for
converting 'linear' RGB colors (like in colors.inc) into SRGB colors, and vice
versa. But Bald Eagle and I thought that the equations were 'reversed' there--
because the math *results* of each equation had the opposite effect of what we
wanted them to do in POV-ray. But the equations ARE correct-- it's just that
their intended use *in POV-ray* was the opposite of what the wiki article is
actually describing. That's hard to explain without a lengthy essay on the
subject ;-)