POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 : Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:08:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Oct 2020 06:45:00
Message: <web.5f8827f076c60ba81f9dae300@news.povray.org>
Ash Holsenback <no### [at] spamcom> wrote:

> would one of you guys PLEASE be a little bit more specific about what is
> wrong on wiki... several of you are so darn verbose my eyes have just
> glazed over

There once was a man named Jim
My verbosity was getting to him
So instead of Wikipedia
I rendered some media {}
And sent a pretty picture to him

:)   <curtsy>

Don't take this as the final answer, but what I THINK Kenneth found is where it
says

"These linear RGB values are not the final result; gamma correction must still
be applied. The following formula transforms the linear values into sRGB:"

and then immediately following those formulae

The reverse transformation
"Again the sRGB component values Rsrgb, Gsrgb, Bsrgb are in the range 0 to 1.
(Values in the range of 0 to 255 can simply be divided by 255.0)."

should be reversed.

But I haven't re-wrapped my head around the whole gamma thing _again_....

my macros originated from this discussion:

http://news.povray.org/58cb2917%241%40news.povray.org