POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 : Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
29 Apr 2024 09:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stock colors and assumed_gamma 1 in POV-Ray 3.6
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Oct 2020 22:25:00
Message: <web.5f87b2cb76c60ba81f9dae300@news.povray.org>

> So there needs to be a function(_r, _g, _b) {} with a select () statement in it.

Which of course you have, (duh) but what I'm thinking is that the specific way
you implemented the sRGB standard might be one of the slightly different ways
mentioned, compared to how it's actually implemented in POV-Ray.

So, I'd either play with some of the gobbledygook in the wikipedia page, or look
at what Mike Horvath has done
https://github.com/mjhorvath/Mike-Wikipedia-Illustrations
(the whole zip is like 78MB) to see what sorts of color conversion functions he
uses.

because I'm hoping that since he worked closely with clipka on this, that it's
"as-per-POV-Ray"

or we need to dig up the part in the POV-Ray source code where rgb gets
converted to sRGB to see exactly what gets done.

But I got zippo-zero done today, so now I'm going to bed.  :D

Super nice work with the updating - I'm glad you tracked down that Wikipedia was
_wrong_   :O   That's actually been bothering me this whole time, whenever I'd
hearken back to why I wrote them in the first place.   Makes me feel better to
know that I was doing the right thing but with wrong information.  :)

THANK YOU

Strange that neither Mike nor Christoph picked up on it - but maybe they
mentioned it in one of his scene development threads?