POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 : Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 Server Time
20 May 2024 12:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Oct 2020 23:15:00
Message: <web.5f7a8ed432341a55d98418910@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:

> Just do not use the "texture_map" construct (as you say it has an odd
> syntax making it impossible to pre-declare the used image maps), use
> "pigment_pattern" instead. Like so:
[snip]

Thank you, Ive! That is a very elegant workaround for the problem, and I will
make use of it.

When I started working on this scene years ago, I'm sure that I looked at
pigment_pattern, image_pattern, texture_map etc in the documentation, when
trying to formulate my idea for masking the buildings' windows to add
reflections. What threw me off was a little sentence in pigment_pattern. "Note:
This pattern uses a pigment to get the gray values. If you want to get the
pattern from an image, you should use the image_pattern". Since my scene used
image_maps of real windows, off I went there-- which then gave an example of
using the image_pattern as a MASK. Just what I wanted! But I didn't realize that
the image_pattern's 'syntax #declare problem' was unique to itself (well,
different from the pigment_pattern). And unfortunately, there's no explicit
mention of 'masking' ability in the 'pigment_pattern' docs, or an example like
your code.  I thought the only way to do it was with the image_pattern. In
hindsight, I suppose I should have realized that your code trick would have been
a workable alternative-- but it didn't occur to me to 'read between the lines',
so to speak.

Your example code would be a great addition to the docs at 'pigment_pattern'.

Thanks again!