POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 : Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 Server Time
20 May 2024 11:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Oct 2020 05:55:01
Message: <web.5f799b6e32341a55d98418910@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>...I thought why aren't the basic image_map pigments in
> an array?  (perhaps in a separate include file)  then the macro (and other code)
> only need to deal with indices.  eg. (just typed, any errors mine):
>
> #declare myImgMaps = array {
>   pigment {image_map {jpeg "building windows 7 HO.jpg" interpolate 2}},
> };
>
> so you'd refer to 'myImgMaps[0]' etc.

The main trouble is with the  texture{image_pattern{  syntax.

In its general form for 'masking' use...

texture{
  image_pattern{
      png "my_holdout_mask_image_1.png" interpolate 2 // the mask
      texture_map{TEX_MAP_FOOBAR} // or just texture{...}, the texture to mask
        }
       }

.... the syntax of
       png "my_holdout_mask_image.png" interpolate 2
is a difficult 'thing' to pre-#declare (in case you want to substitute different
images there.) It's not quite a full pigment specification. In other words,
      #declare XYZ = png "my_holdout_mask_image.png" interpolate 2
doesn't even work as a #declare, it produces a fatal error, "not a valid Rvalue"
or something like that. I imagine that trying to put it into an array might have
the same problem, because entering entries in an array is like #declaring them.
Although, I may not have tried it before, I don't remember. (I tried a BUNCH of
ways around this problem, several years ago.) I could be wrong though!