POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm Server Time
15 May 2024 14:56:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Oct 2020 06:40:00
Message: <web.5f7702949bb6a6571f9dae300@news.povray.org>
I have been playing for a long time with the idea
> of "publishing" all that stuff some way or another. I am aware that when
> I shall come to disappear, all that stuff will be "lost". I need to do
> something about it, if only because I feel an obligation to the
> community who provided me with it. Additionally, I may discover use for
> the many items I never included in my scenes. A majority most probably.
>
> You have got my attention gentlemen.

I'd say that a good step 1 would be to get everything into one folder and make
an index file with all of the filenames (with an eye toward making it HTML).

Then you can start with the minimum needed to make it "useable" - under each
filename, you can put author, date/version, link to original post if you know
it, and any notes or comments that you might have.   Mention scenes that you've
used it in.  Perhaps while you're doing this, think of a grouping scheme or tags
for the files: plants, buildings, people, clouds, water....

That way you can sort of skim through it and hit the highlights, which are
likely the most interesting/useful items in the collection.

That sets it up for posting to a file hosting site, and folks can download it,
look it over, and discuss some of the files - then it kinda takes on a life of
its own and people can find missing information, divine the purpose of code that
you're not sure of, catch bugs, make edits for clarity and efficiency, etc.
Many hands make light work.

Many things might be a wonderful addition to the Insert Menu.