POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 : Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:54:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings-- WIP 9_29_2020
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Sep 2020 05:15:01
Message: <web.5f744af032341a55d98418910@news.povray.org>
> Op 30/09/2020 om 00:46 schreef Kenneth:
> > And a closer view...
> >

> That is a net improvement to the previous version I should say.

Thanks!

> The only
> thing that rankles my perception are the smaller buildings. Should they
> be just dwarf copies of the taller ones, with just less floors? I wonder
> if they would not look better if they were of a completely different
> design focussed on their lower elevation (sorry, more work for you).
> Architecturally, that would be more consistent I guess.

That's an intriguing thought, and didn't occur to me. (Simply getting to *this*
point was a brain-twisting chore, ha.) I'm not quite sure what you have in mind;
but I will take a closer look at my collection of real New York aerial photos
(downloaded from the 'net), to see how shorter buildings might differ in
appearance and construction. I have to admit that, currently, the buildings
lack... 'individual personality'... a result of the box-y procedural technique
that I'm using. I hope to keep the code mostly procedural though, rather than
adding a lot of 'one-off' buildings and details; but that has its limits and
shortcomings, obviously. I suppose that a few *circular* buildings would be
appropriate too, and should be relatively easy to add.

Btw, I don't know if it's noticable in these renders, but I made no attempt
(yet) to 'correctly' place the greebles on the building roofs; they are just
randomly placed, and most likely intersect each other. I have to admit that I
still don't know the algorithm or technique for placing randomly-located objects
that don't overlap, each object having its own space. It is a long-standing
mystery to me. I know it has been discussed in the newsgroups from time to time.

> You have also provided for future city expansion, airport runways and F1
> racing (or a combination) it seems ;-)

Ha! Actually, the 'ground' is currently a simple plane, with the roadway texture
running off to...infinity! I hope to come up with some other visual scheme for
the 'suburbs'-- or else *always* restrict the camera view to just the city
itself. OR, I could make a cylindrical fake 'billboard' of city-building images,
to surround the entire city like a movie-studio backdrop!