POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm Server Time
2 May 2024 07:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 29 Sep 2020 17:20:00
Message: <web.5f73a4a69bb6a6571b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
> Basically, the checkered fields are superimposed as a slope texture,
> taking into account a b&w diamond pattern image_map. In the original,
> the pattern was straight but I thought it would be more convincing if
> that were changed to a more wavy pattern.

It's very effective. Looking closely, one can see the checker-like pattern, but
the wider view is quite natural. I've used a similar technique in the past for
placing objects - using a version of a texture specifically designed for
filtering a random field of items.

My previous attempt at field boundaries was a random point graph, which
unfortunately required an external program - both for speed and sanity, since
SDL is quite unsuited to that sort of thing. I never got as far as making the
actual field colours, just the boundary walls (see attached). Sadly, as with so
many projects, real life distracted me in some way and it fell by the wayside...

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fields.jpg' (121 KB)