POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs uberpov am3 : Re: povray vs uberpov am3 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:04:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs uberpov am3
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 Sep 2020 10:50:01
Message: <web.5f64c87aaa461a8cd98418910@news.povray.org>
"Ton" <ton### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> My version of uberpov is from https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV, the last
> version, dated 10 February 2015.

OK. I downloaded the Windows 64-bit version of this-- I *think* it's the correct
'stand-alone' version-- dated one day earlier on the Github page: UberPOV
v1.37.1.0.beta10

> Povray 3.7 doesn't have the stochastic rendering mode am3, that's probably why
> your plugin on version 3.7.0 doesn't work...

Apparently you're correct; this earlier(!) version of UberPOV DOES recognize the
"+ac0.9" command. That seems strange to me; I would have thought that the
(later) piggyback version for 3.7.0 would also have that ability already
built-in to its binary, thus 'overriding' 3.7.0's limitation. Anyway, it does
work. Thanks.

[William wrote...}
> Hmm, wonder if I can trigger it with your simpler test cast Ton.
>
> We can indeed! All one needs do is change:
> background { color srgb <0, 0, 0> }
> to:
> #declare Acajou = srgb <0.29804,0.18431,0.15294>;
>background { color Acajou }
> and the cpu time jumps...
[snip]

In the Windows version of UberPOV beta 10 (the version I downloaded, as above),
the render times for Ton's scene are identical, with or without this
background/color change-- a quick 4 seconds at 800X600. But the visual results
indicate that AA is not working at all, or very minimally. And, as you mentioned
earlier, the render statistics say:

Antialiasing...on (Method 3, Threshold 0.100, Depth 6, Jitter 1.00, Gamma 2.50)

samples: 0   Smpls/Pxl: 0.00

-----------
[off-topic]
This UberPOV beta 10 'stand-alone'(?) installation was an interesting
experience. Unpacking it in 7-zip, it unzips as a 'application'. I thought this
would be an 'installer'-- but no, clicking on it launches UberPOV itself...with
scenes present that I had already opened in some other version of POV-ray. It
makes me wonder what assets this version is automatically using; maybe from
within my 3.7.0 folder(s)?

Another odd thing:
Running Ton's test scene the first time in this version, there was a fatal
error... in his camera declaration, of all places!

camera
{
   location <25, 8, 0>
   right <image_width / image_height, 0, 0>
   look_at <12, 0, 0>
}

The fatal error was at the 2nd line-- ""Expected numneric expression,  /  found
instead". Huh?!

So I changed that line to the more standard syntax,
     right x*image_width/image_height

..... but that triggered a *different* fatal error...
"No matching } in 'camera', * found instead". Huh?!

I finally got it to work by using
     right <1.3333,0,0>

Very strange...especially since my own more complex scenes run perfectly OK with
the 'problem' syntax. (Although, in my scenes, I never put the camera
declaration as the last item. Maybe that's the culprit?)

It's a good thing that I have a sense of humor; otherwise, these crazy errors
would drive me insane ;-)