POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Applying textures to a spherical heightfield section afterwards? : Re: Applying textures to a spherical heightfield section afterwards? Server Time
5 May 2024 01:42:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Applying textures to a spherical heightfield section afterwards?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Sep 2020 07:00:01
Message: <web.5f609e1857afda211f9dae300@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Mesh2

> But I have no uv_indices, just uv_vectors!

My guess is that you may be missing a section of data.
Perhaps POV-Ray creates uv-index data where it is missing, (<0, 0>?) and that
doesn't jive with whatever it needs to do.   Or it's just a bad/misleading
error.

Make a 2x2 or 3x3 mesh, or make an inc file to store your test mesh(es) in.
(just to keep the amount of text in the main pov file down.)
Then you can write a scene with various permutations and choose them with
#switch.

That way you never delete the mistakes, you don't repeat failed experiments, and
when something doesn't work, you can //comment that section with "Doesn't work"
and copy-paste the exact error into the comments as well.
It's easier than having 32 different pov files and trying to meaningfully name /
differentiate them all.
That way it's a record of what you tried and what you haven't yet, that can act
as a reference for you - and others if you post it.