POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, as we Kartwelophiles prefer to say ;-) : Re: POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, = Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:53:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, =
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Aug 2020 19:25:00
Message: <web.5f386e49ca3a91a81f9dae300@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> I can't write binary data to disk as I have to build a mesh2 object -
> AFAIK this can only be achieved by writing ASCII text!

No one said anything about writing binary data.
(but yes you can with POV-Ray)

Now, tell the truth.  You and Sven are brothers, or at least cousins.

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C59799a41%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=417481

Perhaps there is a feature of MeshLab or PoseRay or an STL-file software,
perhaps Blender - that can take an image map and convert it into a mesh.
There are some cloud computing solutions out there - maybe look into those.

Perhaps Maurice already has some sort of tool in Blender that can easily handle
this.

The next question is: do you really need this kind of extreme resolution?
At this point?

Can you simply use a heightfield, or a smaller image, or step through the image
every nth pixel?

I just looked at your old mesh file, and it's 24+MB.   That's a ton of
information for a single tile.