POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, as we Kartwelophiles prefer to say ;-) : Re: POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, = Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:51:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth: Greater Caucasus (n42e044 quadrangle)... or Didi Kavkasioni, =
From: jr
Date: 15 Aug 2020 05:25:01
Message: <web.5f37a8f04a6c5c7c4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Contrary to Bald Eagle's recommendations, precalculations and
> concatenations of #write operations did not help much in increasing
> parsing speed of the mesh2 generating script - calculating a mesh2 from
> the n42e044 heightfield still took 2 hours, 32 minutes. I need a faster
> computer! 16-core Ryzen Threadripper fitted with 128 GiB of RAM or
> something like that...

while I can see that with 2.5 hours parse time you'd not want to run code two or
three times just to compare, had hoped for a more precise measure than "did not
help much".  a big UK supermarket has the advertising slogan "every little
helps"  :-)  (I'm guessing that there could be other opportunities to improve
that code, in addition to the loop you've shown)

I'll have most of Tuesday to myself, so if you want, post an archive with code
and image(s).  I'm curious, and would be happy to have a look.

(I think #cores and threads in a new computer, even if slightly higher clocked,
won't make much difference wrt single threaded parsing; more RAM might if swap
is used.  hopefully someone will correct me if this assumption is false)

regards, jr.